Tuesday 2 May 2017

Study Task 4 - Choosing a Research Question UPDATE

My chosen research question was How are characters' appearances perceived in animation?
However, after receiving more feedback from my tutor it was clear that my question is too vague and therefore I needed to simplify it in order to have a main focus.

My new question is now: How Princesses within animation are perceived by the audience.
This will have the theme of society and culture as I will consider how people perceive the appearance of Princesses depending on the circumstances e.g. gender (gender of the observer and gender of the character) and desires (e.g. erotic). I will look into the opinions of those questioning the stereotypical nature of Princesses and how they effect society. The main aspect specified in this question will be Princesses.

I can still explore a range of animation (cartoons, films, games, etc.) and look into online articles and books from the library discussing the appearance or art styles of different Princesses. Possible books I can use are:

- Amy Davis (2007) 'Good Girls and Wicked Witches: women is Disney's feature animation'
- Nancy Beiman (2007) ‘Prepare to Board'
- Mike Madrid (2009) 'The Supergirls: fashion, feminism and fantasy, and the history of comic book heroines'

I can still use animations like Disney films such as Cinderella, Western Cartoons and Japanese Animations which show a variety of Princesses that would relate to my question. I can also find articles concerning Princesses concerning their roles, appeal, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment